Sustainability at Club Med
A pioneer with a responsible vision
Sowing the seeds towards global sustainable tourism
For more than 60 years, sustainability has been part of the Club Med DNA. Throughout our history, we've forged a strong belief: the moments of happiness we offer to our guests are to be shared; they cannot be experienced at the expense of others or nature.
That’s why we’re making sure that our development reflects what we know today as sustainable development: our resorts blend in harmoniously in their exceptional sites, we’re being extremely vigilant with energy efficiency, saving, treating and recycling our water, promoting renewable energy sources, controlling the water treatment and recycling techniques…
All the while we’re contributing to local development and bringing together in harmony people of very different origins, religions, nationalities, and settings… That’s what we want Club Med to be about.
Expert in dream locations, conscious of their fragility
To preserve our exceptional natural heritage
- Certified sustainable holidays: 80% of our resorts are GREEN GLOBE certified, with a target of 100% in the near future
- Concrete eco-commitments such as the elimination of single-use plastic, combatting food waste and the promotion of animal welfare
- Activities to discover and protect nature
Pioneer in tourism, accelerator of local development
Share value locally
- Charity at the heart of your holidays, with the Club Med Foundation: for example with "Friends around the world", children from local communities meet young GMs and learn from them
- Support for local farmers and agroecology with the "Green Farmers" scheme
- Respect for local hosts and support for the local economy such as prevention of child abuse in tourism with ECPAT
- 75% of jobs are filled locally, with local purchases being developed
Happy G.Os and G.Es make happy G.Ms
Offer more than a job – offer experiences, for self-development and the forging of bonds for life
- 100% of Chefs de Village come from internal promotion
- 46% of management committees are women
- 90% of Resorts have G.Os of at least 9 different nationalities
Caring for the environment
Club Med’s commitment to sustainable tourism is built on solid foundations
- 100% of the construction of our new resorts has been BREEAM eco-certified (or equivalent) since 2018
- 46 Resorts certified Green Globe for their sustainable management (100% in Asia Pacific)
- Discovery Tours by Club Med certified as ATR since 2017
Caring for our guests
Spreading kindness through environmental awareness
Holidays are a time to relax, but also a time to grow and learn. We love it when our guests, big and small, partake in our efforts to protect our planet. Whether it’s by putting up posters about how our guests can work with us to do their part for the environment or inviting them to our Green Activities, we feel truly rewarded when guests come back home feeling closer to nature, full of ideas on how to live more sustainably.
Caring for our staff and local communities
Contributing to local development
Respecting our host country and its population is one of Club Med’s founding principles. Our vocation is to promote the well-being of all concerned, and we could never have established ourselves in countries of such varied cultures if hadn’t built our resorts in a profound spirit of responsibility and respect towards our hosts and staff.